Construction Technician- Starry (Secaucus, NJ)
Find the original posting here: https://boards.greenhouse.io/starry/jobs/4958461002?gh_src=8bd1efa32
Starry is proud to be an Equal Opportunity workplace. Just like the internet service we provide, we do not discriminate. We welcome people from all over the world to share their knowledge and perspectives. At Starry, you can discover the many careers and opportunities that are made possible when you connect people to the limitless possibilities of the internet.
Our mission focuses on two things. First, we’re making the experience of accessing the internet simple, transparent, and delightful. Second, we’re bringing that experience to underserved communities around the world. We approach our mission with a cutting-edge wireless technology, customer service designed to delight, and a culture of innovation and intellectual curiosity.
What you’ll do:
As a Starry Construction Technician, you’ll work with construction efforts of in-house installation construction, maintenance and rebuild projects: fiber/ethernet cable in-building applications as well as various aerial and rooftop applications to support Starry Internet services. Your responsibilities will include Installation of Starry Network equipment at users locations ensuring the safety and quality of work performed, ensuring timely completion in both a safe and quality manner. Positive attitude and able to work in a team to achieve installation goals.
We welcome candidates in the New York Metropolitan areas. 90% of time is in the Field. Requires occasional presence at the Secaucus, NJ deployment office to attend meetings/training sessions.
What you’ll do:
- Ensure that Starry remains cost effective by performing quality work in a timely manner
- Present yourself to the building owner and/or building manager in a manner to secure his/her trust in you
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills when in the presence of customers, building owners, property managers, and the public in general
- Install site equipment and have the ability and skill to do fiber cleaning, splicing, fiber optics testing, ethernet speed test, tone out wiring testing, etc. (It’s possible that you may not have all these skills at present, but you must be able to demonstrate a working ability in one or more of these areas with the aptitude to learn the other skills.)
- Work in a professional manner
- Work closely with Starry’s Construction Manager to ensure that you are following processes as outlined in your team meetings
- Ensure that you take the opportunity to develop those around you to the betterment of yourself and the company
- Strive to perform work quickly, accurately, and cost effectively
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Experience with wireless system deployments (PMP, PTP, mobile), preferably in deploying greenfield networks
- Prior experience performing building wiring in a metropolitan environment, especially Los Angeles
- Understanding of telecommunications work environments, including a thorough understanding of remaining compliant with national and local electrical codes
- Hands-on experience within all aspects of building wiring, including the placement of vertical wireless assets is a plus
- Comfortable working in a small team or startup, and sometimes ambiguous or fluid environments
- Proven team player
- Must be able to lift up to 60 lbs regularly, respond quickly to avoid or mitigate potentially dangerous situations, move safely over uneven terrain, safely climb ladders while carrying up to 40 lbs, and work outdoors in extreme weather
- Must be able to regularly use ladders, hatches, steps, and other means to gain access to roofs on multiple story buildings
- Must adhere to OSHA safety guidelines and wear personal protective gear properly and as required
- Must be able to bustle about, bend, squat, or stand for prolonged periods of time
- Understanding of RF propagation theory and model tuning of the radio planning tool, ideally across a number of the following frequencies – 80GHz, 60GHz, 37 – 40GHz, 23GHz, and 18GHz
- Limited experience with RF planning tool outputs (Siradel, Atoll, Planet, or IBwave) and GIS tools (MapInfo or ArcView)
We work hard, so we take care of each other and try to enjoy ourselves along the way. We have:
- Premium medical, dental, and vision coverage with no employee contribution required
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave
- Catered meals on a weekly basis
- Groups for skiing, biking, running, climbing, stretching, shuffleboard, darts, and more
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.